Do you know the common symptoms of a psychological disorder?
What Is Mental Health?
- Mental Health is our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
- It is how you react to day to day choices, people, and how you cope with stress.
- Mental health is critical at every stage of life.
If you experience mental health problems throughout your life, your thought process, actions, mood, and behavior can be affected. This is usually caused by one of three factors:
- Life Experiences
Treating mental health is always available, but the stigma of treatment often prevents people from seeking help, especially in the black community. In the process of seeking help or providing help to loved ones, you should be aware common symptoms which include:
- Feelings of extreme highs and lows
- Inability to cope with daily problems and activities
- Social withdrawal
- Substance use
- Changes in ability to maintain responsibility
- Changes in sleeping and/or eating habits
- Intense fear
- Prolonged anger
- Having little to no energy
- Thinking of harming yourself or others
- Severe mood swings
- Feeling helpless/ hopeless
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or know someone who is, it is crucial that you seek help call 1-800-273-8255. Chicago has a numerous amount of support groups like NAMI or there are online groups if you would like to remain anonymous.
Check out the next blog post for the top 10 ways to help treat yourself! Until next time.